Thursday, March 1, 2018

Roller coaster

It's the time of year when the weather can be counted on for one one thing - being unpredictable. While we're back to cold and dreary (with a HUGE dumping of snow expected today), we had a beautiful, spring-like start to the week.

So on Tuesday, while I was waiting for work items to come in, I decided to get a head start on some yard work. Normally, property management hires a company to take care of the leaves. But last fall, they only did it for a few weeks, then stopped well before the season ended. As a result, my front gardens were buried under a thick blanket of leaves. It won't hurt them - it probably provided a bit of extra insulation - but it was time to get it all cleared out.

Under the watchful eye of my Snoopervisor, I got to it.*
With all the leaves cleared away, I was able to see what was going on. The front gardens saw the most expansion last year, so I was eager to see if things were surviving.

It's still early (as I said, it's already turned cold again), but from what I saw, things are definitely looking good
In the Lower Front Garden, the Cherry Brandy Susans are sprouting, which is wonderful. I'd lost my previous ones the spring before (I think thanks to the roofers). There's also good signs around the Columbine, Tickseed and Beard Tongue too.
 In the Upper Front garden, these little sprouts are popping up every where. I think they are Grape Hyacinths.
The Sedum is also just starting to show signs of life.
Out back things are doing great too - the Chives are a tangled mass of green.
I hope I'm not jinxing myself by noticing that the Oriental Wedding poppies are coming back. This is my THIRD try with these guys.
This ginormous mass is my Pincushion plant.  I'm glad it's happy, but I'm a little worried it may be crowding out my blue Sage.
And the Hollyhocks I started from seed last year are showing signs of life. Last year, they got shadowed by the Sunflowers so didn't flower. I'm changing sunflower location this year, so hopefully they will have a much better chance.

I still have to get my winter sow jugs together (I'm really behind) and I'm dithering on buying some new plants from Breck's and Vesey's... Not to mention I have a pile of points saved up for when the garden centre opens in May... Oh Spring... you bring such potential!

* I know I said he wasn't going out until the end of the week, but by Tuesday his energy levels were through the roof. It was let him out or have my house destroyed! Everything is healing up nicely though.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like your garden is going to be very productive this year. Glad to hear that Relic is feeling better. Looks like he was enjoying a bit of spring.

Araignee said...

That's a lot of growth! I need to get the leaf cover raked off too. My daffodils were pushing up through them already.

Delighted Hands said...

How exciting to see that the yard is telling you Spring is coming, even if it has some false starts! Nice to see things growing, though, isn't it!!? Relic will be fine now that the infection is on the way out; he looks contented!

kathy b said...

I always enjoy seeing your garden and hearing your plans. I snooped around yesterday and saw what I think are daffodil shoots coming up!!

chrisknits said...

Well, snoopervisors have a mind of their own. Glad he is better and your garden is set for a great year.

Vera said...

Glad Relic was well enough to go back outside. There is hope!! All the new growth is wonderful. Fletch checked our garlic bed the other day - taking off some of the mulch cover and there are green shoots coming up. He covered it back up - still too early to uncover. hope you don't get too dumped on - snow is in our forecast for tomorrow, but I think just flurries.

Eastside Cats said...

We have snow drops blooming, and I can see green shoots coming up from under our pile of leaves that The Hubby rakes into the gardens. We are getting a snowstorm right now, so I'm glad the leaves are still there, but I'll be raking them out soon enough.

Mereknits said...

My azaleas are in full bloom, they are gorgeous. It has been so warm here Sring is early.