Sunday, October 22, 2017

The sock train

With Jaywalker off my needles, I'm officially done with the KAL.  It was time to get back to my regularly scheduled sock knitting... which meant my On The GO designs. I have 12 designed planned, and only five knit so far. When I started, I'd planned to get them all done by the end of the year. Obviously, that's not going to happen.

Especially when I looked at the calendar.

I hate to use the C-word before Hallowe'en... but we're all crafters here. You've just got to think about Christmas early if you're a crafter.

I'm not making all my presents this year, but their are a few on the list. And if I don't want to go insane come December, I've got to get a wiggle on.

So when the Worsted Weight sock yarn I'd ordered at the start of the month arrived just as I finished up the Jaywalkers, I knew it was a sign.
Big heavy boot socks are just perfect for train knitting. This leg and most of a foot were knit up over one evening and one train trip home (about four hours).

This pair is for Dad. I'd originally made him a pair back in 2014 with the intention of them being used as hunting socks - some extra warmth for the bush. But Mom says he wears them all winter long - especially around the house.

The second pair will be for my brother, who not only goes hunting with Dad, but lives in Owen Sound... the land of cold and snow.

Unfortunately, this yarn has now been discontinued. I was lucky to get these balls... so if any one can suggested a good hard-wearing worsted wool/nylon blend (self-striping is a bonus, but not necessary), please let me know. Despite constant wear, Dad's first pair is still going strong. I'd love to make more!

8 comments:

Araignee said...

Now those are fun socks. Just what you need when it really gets cold.

Lorraine said...

Not self striping- but good old Briggs & Little Tuffy works well. Great price point too.

The Well Fed Wheel said...

I'm always amazed at how fast you knit! :-)

kathy b said...

I love your socks. And yes gift knitting must be done early for me too. I have two pair of fingerless mitts and need to finish another.
Gave away a shawl to FIreman's aunt on Friday. That felt perfect.

Shirley said...

The socks are beautiful! Yes, when you plan to make Christmas presents, you need to be working on them now. Looking forward to seeing the projects you complete for gifts.

Mereknits said...

I am no good at suggesting sock yarn as I don't knit socks, but I sure do love those yarns, they are wonderful.

Delighted Hands said...

Now these are some gorgeous, er, handsome socks! Love the yarn!!!

Eastside Cats said...

I purchased some thick, wooly socks years ago, and every single one has a hole at the toe and a big one in the heel! I've sewn those holes up, but a new one sprouts...and I'm just walking in the socks around the house! Cheapo stuff, so color my green with envy regarding your father's pair!