Monday, October 16, 2017

Late bloomers

I know I probably sound like a broken record... but it's the middle of October and holy gardens batman! Yes, they are starting to wind down, but there's still a surprising amount of colour out there.
Out front those adorable little Toad Lilies have bloomed.
They are so small but just look at those speckles! I definitely need to get more next year.
The Strawberry Mango Smoothie Coneflower (boy, that's a mouthful) I bought this spring finally bloomed. It was considered a "designer" variety, and quite a bit more  expensive than my usual buys, but since I was using PC points, I splurged, and I'm glad I did. The Coneflowers really bring in the butterflies and this one is a nice unique addition.
The Iceland Poppies started using the Winter Sow method this year are still blooming. They've been such a consistent bloomer, and it's always a little extra thrill knowing you started them from seed.
And KathyB - this one is for you. I was so surprised when I looked out my window yesterday morning and saw the Lupin in bloom! It was a coin toss whether it would bloom this year or not and it was looking like it was going to be not. But I guess the gardens are just full of surprises.  These were started from seed too, so I'm extra proud.
And while insect activity in the backyard has definitely  dwindled - there's still a few industrious Bumblers grabbing what pollen they can. I'm glad my little gardens are a good source for them.

8 comments:

Araignee said...

Those are beautiful fall blooms! I'm still waiting on fall here. The AC is still on and so are the flip flops. Maybe this week they say....

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Today is the first day it hasn't been in the high 80's here so we just may be getting our first stint of Fall too. Love all your Fall blooms!

Delighted Hands said...

So nice to have the flowers keep blooming! I love the name 'Toad Lilies'-makes me want to read Mr Toad adventures! lol

chrisknits said...

I am sure the bees love your garden, not matter the time of the year.

Mereknits said...

They are all so beautiful.

Vera said...

Gorgeous blooms! I am so taken with Toad Lilies.

kathy b said...

Oh My GOSH !!! YOur LUPINE!!! THe leaves look exactly like mine. NO blooms for me this year but i am THRILLED for you!

Eastside Cats said...

Keep the buzy bees buzzing!