Sunday, June 4, 2017

Food is love

First: A couple quick updates.

Update 1: Saturday morning I wrangled Rupert into his carrier for his follow-up vet appointment. He's no longer speaking to me, but he got a clean bill of health and I no longer have to wrestle him to get antibiotics in him.

Update2: There won't be any pics of baby starlings I'm afraid. A few days ago, the wind was raging, and it blew the cover off the phone box. Sadly, all the eggs fell out of the nest. Only one was undamaged. I put it back in the nest, and secured the cover again, but it looks like Mama Starling has abandoned the nest.

Now... on to happier stuff...

I've been on the hunt for a strawberry pot for a few years. Most places had no idea what I was talking about - a few did, but said they hadn't seen any for years. I guess they just weren't popular any more. But the day Mom and I went hunting for succulents, we found one. I'm not sure why I didn't buy it that day, but Mom was kind enough to go and pick it up for me last week.
 My strawberry plants are now happily ensconced in it, and I think they look quite nice. I'm hoping now that the plants are bit more mature, the berries will be bigger.
They've been teeny tiny so far... but even if they never get bigger, I do enjoy the flowers.
I don't have to worry about the raspberries producing.

Usually I only get a handful in the first crop (they are ever-bearing so I get berries from June-July, then again from late August right through to October), but the bushes are absolutely covered.
I was getting worried about the blackberries, but the berries are starting to show. I should have a good crop this year, if I can keep the fungus from getting them like it did last year.
The Tiny Tim tomatoes are doing well. This plant is largest of the three, but it was planted a full week before the other two. We haven't had the hot weather yet, so I don't expect too see much action on these ones for a while.
The beans are doing well - starting to peek over the side of the planter
They are nice and healthy.

We've still got weeks to go before anything will be ready to eat...  but I'm already getting hungry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have really made the most of your garden this year!

Delighted Hands said...

Great strawberry pot! I have a terra cotta one I love!
I hope your weather keeps right so everything will come to a good harvest! Soon!

Mereknits said...

I love the pot. I had strawberry plants a few years ago and could not figure out why the barely ripe ones would disappear, it was Max my dog! I caught him in the act!

Araignee said...

I wish I was your neighbor. I'd be hanging over your fence all summer hoping for a bite of something good!

The Well Fed Wheel said...

So glad Ruepert's better. Giving kitties meds is no fun. My tomatoes were doing so good but something is after them now. Had to dust them with a bug killer. Hoping they servive.