Saturday, February 11, 2017

Monogamy for the win!

I did it!

For once I successfully resisted startitis! The green lace cardigan design is off the needles and on the blocking board! I will probably be a while before you see much of it. I've got an idea for a photoshoot, but it needs much milder weather. I also have to do the really hard part of designing... figuring out the changes for the different sizes and writing them all into the pattern.

Then I've got to get it off to some testers. So while you may see pics sometime in Spring, it will probably be end of summer before the pattern is released.

In the meantime... to reward myself for resisting,  I started a new project!
That is the beginning of the back of the Empire Line Cardigan by Debbie Bliss. It's probably one of the oldest patterns in my queue. I got the yarn (Rowan Cashsoft DK) in 2009, but I'm pretty sure I've had the pattern since 2007 or so.

Since it's on this year's "to knit" list, and it's already languished for so long, I figured the only way to get it done once and for all was to make it the next project.

Next to Okracoke, it's probably the most complex pattern on the list.
While my pictures aren't great (too grey and dreary lately), you might be able to make out that it's a mix of cables and lace.  I will admit... those cables are going to slow it down quite a bit. That said, 16 rows in and I already have the pattern memorized.

I have made one mod. The original pattern has faggoting between the horseshoe lace and the cables (YOs on right and wrong sides). To make it easier on myself, I changed that to an alternating eyelet. This way I can purl all the way on the wrong side rows. It's a nice little break from the complexity of the front.

As mentioned, I'm using Rowan Cashsoft DK. It's a blend of merino, acrylic and cashmere. It's crazy soft, and I got it on ebay crazy cheap. The colourway is poison, and it's a touch more red than the picture shows, but it's still nice and dark.

The pattern is knit in pieces - and while that's ideal for blocking, it's going to mean more finishing. And - it's long and flowy, and long-sleeved. I'm definitely in this one for the long haul!

10 comments:

Araignee said...

That is such a gorgeous color!

Anonymous said...

That is the most beautiful color yarn EVER! I'm really looking forward to seeing this one come along.

Congrats on the finish! Yes .............you deserve a new cast on!

Cat Lover said...

What a beautiful cardigan it will be when it is finished. I love the colour!

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Wow! That's a pretty impressive knit list! Burgundy is my favorite color too. This one is going to be gorgeous when finished

Jocelyn said...

Beautiful! If I remember correctly, I knitted something in that yarn years and years ago, and really loved the results. What a great pattern, too - that's going to be very wearable and useful.

kathy b said...

Your new knit up is gorgeous already. I likeyour mod in the purling dept. I love all of your photo shoots and I think they are well worth the wait!!

Vera said...

Gorgeous color and gorgeous pattern!

Mereknits said...

It is going to be gorgeous, I would never ever attempt this so I am thrilled for you.

chrisknits said...

That color is gorgeous, whether true to life or not. Cannot wait to see the progress on this.

Rachelle said...

It's going to look lovely in that yarn, can't wait to see it on the blog all finished