Saturday, February 4, 2017

A growing concern

We finally got a bit of snow and it's stayed a little bit colder, but it's still far warmer than it usually is. While I was out photographing things earlier this week, I took the opportunity to check on the gardens a little further. The daisies aren't the only thing sprouting early...
The Siberian Irises are popping up
As are the bearded irises.
 And the sedum is sprouting at least a month ahead of when it did last year
Even the Lilac buds are further along than  it normally would  be.

But I'm not overly worried about any of them.... It's the columbine
 And Speedwell...
That has me worried. While I'm glad to see they survived so far... what happens if we get a tonne of cold and snow between now and April?

I guess all I can do is wait and see... and hope!

7 comments:

Araignee said...

Oh, wow. That is a lot sprouting already. I went digging for some signs of spring in the front beds but could only find the hydrangea budding. The black eyed susans never actually died back this year. The base is still leafy and green. So weird.

Lorraine said...

My pussy willow tree has buds- this has happened before and they just stayed that way until Spring.

kathy b said...

Fingers crossed for the Columbine. I haven't done the walk around here yet. Too cold out. Too snowy. I LOVE seeing your photos.

Cat Lover said...

When Chuck and I were out for our walk this morning I noticed some Iris's coming up in a neighbours garden. When we shovel the driveway we throw the snow in the gardens and try to keep everything covered up. We do need more snow!
Have a good weekend!

The Well Fed Wheel said...

The weather has been unusually warm here as well. I actually had to run the air the other day and wear shorts. I was sweating bullets while working on my scrappy blanket. ;-)

Delighted Hands said...

Our Azaleas are a month ahead of schedule, too. I don't know whether to be concerned or excited!

Vera said...

Our Iris are up as well...but it seems like they always are! I did see some fresh mint the other day (I'm ready for a mojito!!). Haven't noticed our Columbine though, and I hope it is still there. We had much less last year than in prior years.